Wednesday, May 11, 2011

We're off to a Great Beginning, Like Other's Before Us

The trip thus far has been very exhilarating! From the moment we stepped off the plane everything has been a moment to moment ride of uncertainty. For those of you that know me, this is an unusual thing
for me. However, I am hanging in there. I even tried smoked eel today.  Yes, you read that correctly.

The families in Bremerhaven are so kind and generous. Everyone loves to eat and entertain, and who can complain about that? We have experienced many great tours and activities; however, one visit in
particular is worth mentioning. We were able to tour the immigration museum and found it to be very compelling. Each of us was given a ticket with an immigrant's name on it and mine was Carl Laemmie.
Throughout the tour we were able to follow stories of the immigrant. Carl was a third class passenger heading from Germany to America. Interestingly enough, it turns out he was the founder of what we know of as "Hollywood."  In the museum was a billboard of his motion picture Phantom of the Opera made in 1925. Following his story was very surprising and helped make more of a personal connection. Through their computer system, I was also able to located my father's birth record. All in all it was a good experience that I will remember for a long time.   Last night, we attended dinner at a Rotarian's home. We enjoyed a lovely meal and I talked "fundraising" with a board member of the immigration museum. I am looking forward to sharing the fundraising ideas and best practices with my colleagues upon my return and not a moment sooner.... ;-) 

Thank you again, Rotary, for making this experience possible. I am learning a lot about cultural differences including a course called Internet, cell phone and converter/adapter 101. That is, that none of them work as you expect for them to. I would post more and add many pictures but these cultural lessons prevent me from doing so. Stay tuned...
Posted by Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment