Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Pre-mature Visit with the Undertaker

Today is Thursday, our final day near Bremerhaven.  Evelyn, one of my hosts, takes me to see her place of work.  Evelyn is an undertaker.  Traditionally in Germany, funerals are part of a cabinetmaker’s business.  In days past these skilled woodworkers also produced coffins.  The two businesses are still together today.  Evelyn’s office is next to the showroom.  There are displays for kitchen and bath cabinet doors, interior doors, and exterior doors and windows.  There is inventory ready to go.  The composite PVC and wooden doors have impressive craftsmanship.  At my host family and other Rotarian’s home I have noted the quality of workmanship.  Miters are perfect at doorways and windows.  Windows open and close easily and tightly.  Energy costs are very high, so windows now have triple pane glass.  All this is impressive to me, as I formerly owned and operated a custom picture framing business that required exacting standards of workmanship.  This business apparently purchases its caskets from another manufacturer for resale.  Thank you Evelyn for sharing …


Rotarian Hans-Guenther and Evelyn Gellersen, My Host Family
Posted by Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment