Wednesday, May 11, 2011

We Have Arrived!!


First Night's Dinner with Host Families Harborside

After many long hours on the plane we arrived safely at the Bremen airport where we were eagerly greeted by our Rotarian hosts and members of the GSE Team that visited Virginia last Fall (Manfred, Marion, and Sandra).  After a brief meeting we were whisked away to our host parents to prepare for an amazing dinner at a restaurant that was harbor side.  We watched the sunset over the water from the top floor.  AAAHHH! What a beautiful site.  After eating our steaks, that were the size of our heads (hahaha), we headed home for a good night’s rest.


Taking a Break at the Maritime Museum Playing with Small Boats


Katie Runs her Boat Aground

Since we have been getting settled and finding out how to use phones and WIFI, we are a little behind on the blog……my apologiesL  However, we are having an AMAZING time thus far.  Besides the good food and plentiful wine, sherry, champagne, etc. we have had the opportunity to visit many museums.  First being the Maritime Museum, followed by the Immigration Museum and Climate House. 
All of which were amazing experiences.  For me however, the immigration museum was by far the best.  I found my entire families paperwork, draft cards from the wars, and signatures from where he arrived from France to the states.  VERY EMOTIONAL!!!!   Today, which is Tuesday May 10th we visited the Auto Terminal (LOTS of Mercedes there…..too bad I can’t afford one) and Fiedler’s Smokery where we donned surgical attire and toured the process of  how to smoke the fish.  Hopefully, someone can post the picture of that,  it’s worth the laugh!!!   We then were able to taste some of the fish, which by the way was amazing.  We have nothing like it in the states…..wish I could ship some back home. 


Overlooking the Auto Terminal at the Port of Bremerhaven.  Thanks to our Guide, Rotarian Jens Riepenhusen und his wife, Dagmar.  Jens in suit to the left.


Now I am once again getting ready for dinner.  Everyone has been wonderful.  I have the BEST host parents ever.  Everyone here is so laid back and really do enjoy life.  I  joke with my host father, Hans-Juergen Zwingel, stating that I thought I was going to die on the plane, but I think I might die in a car here.  There is no speed limit and I think I saw the speedometer at 200km.  YIKES!  No, it’s actually fun!  I wish I could post more but I have to run. 


Here Hans-Juergen and his wife, Reynate wear traditional Bavarian dress for Angie, Stephen and the Gellersen's after dinner.

Tonight Hans-Jurgen is making bratwurst, steak, and pork on the grill.  Reynate makes boiled potatoes and prepares the food for the grill.  The Gellersen's bring tomato salad and Stephen to our house. 

Hans-Juergen demonstrates his grilling skills.  Delicious!
Hope all is well back home with everyone who is following.  See you all soon!  Bis Bald!  Thanks to all who have allowed me to embark on the incredible journeyJ 
Posted by Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment