Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Germany can be a REAL Shocking Experience!

Hallo friends and family!  My first trip to Europe has been quite interesting.  My first host family, the Riepenhusens, have been wonderful to me!  I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay with Jens, Dagmar and Finn.  They have opened their home to me and have been so generous and kind.
The Riepenhusens live in a small village called Loxstedt – located approximately 15 minutes south of Bremerhaven.  I am staying in a lovely home with a very nice garden.  We have spent several evenings enjoying the unusually warm weather in the garden. 
I am adjusting to life in Europe….sink or swim, really.  Within the first few hours of landing in Bremen, I had managed to turn out the lights in the Riepenhsen’s house.  Upon arrival, I took a nap and then showered.  When I went to dry my hair, I plugged my hairdryer into the outlet (using the adaptor, of course).  Within minutes, the dryer was not working and the lights were out.  I blew the circuit.  While the fix was easy (just flip the fuse), my ego was quite bruised as I had to admit to my host family that my American hairdryer had taken out the lights in their house.
Ahh, only the beginning…but, thanks to Dagmar, I will not do that to my next host family.  She took me to purchase a European hairdryer and flat iron the very next day.
In the days following our arrival, we visited the German Immigration Museum, the Klimathous, the Container Terminal and the fish factory.  We have also met numerous Rotarians in the area and have been spoiled with fantastic meals and engaging conversation.  Bremerhaven has proven to be a wonderful first stop along our journey.
My host family is wonderful and I will miss them dearly.  They have made me feel so comfortable in their home.  Thank you Jens, Dagmar and Finn!
Posted by Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment