Saturday, May 14, 2011

We are Now in Wilhelmshaven!

We have arrived on Thursday to Wilhelmshaven.  We settle quickly at our host families and are wisked away to a dinner and reception at a local hotel.  We have a nice dinner and exchange conversation, trying to get to know each other better. 
We are all staying in Rotarians’ homes in the same neighborhood.  Many of the homes are 100 years old and some are about 50 years old.  The older homes remind me of those in Richmond’s Fan District. 
My host family are the Wagners.  Andreas is a Rotarian and is currently running for Uberbuergermeister  (Lord Mayor) of Bremerhaven.  Rieke stays at home with their four darling young children, Luise, Karl, Helene and Effe.  Much of my time the first day or so is spent with Rieke and the children.  Rieke explains that most of their friends live in or near this charming neighborhood.  It’s easy to walk around here.  The more and more I converse with the Germans, the more I find they are very much like us.  Andreas has a wonderful sense of humor.  I am certain he is doing a fine job campaigning for mayor.  His background is finance and accounting and someone else tells me his knowledge is needed in this city.  City budgets are tight here, as at home.  His smile and joviality are infectious.  I am going to enjoy staying here a lot.
Wagner Home in Wilhelmshaven
Posted by Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment